2021 SAFARI SPECIAL
December 9-12 at Logan, NM
THE “CODGERS AND MISFITS” MATCH
The STEEL SAFARI has evolved into an extremely competitive match. We have had a lot of feedback from shooters over 50, whose eyes have changed for the worse, that they simply cannot locate or see the targets. For everyone else, we all have guns that we might like to try competitively, but they simply wouldn’t be competitive against STEEL SAFARI Open-Division Rifles. Thus, we came up with this match at the request of JP Enterprises and others.
The “SAFARI SPECIAL” aka “CODGERS AND MISFITS” match is a version of the STEEL SAFARI with a few small changes to aid shootability for especially SENIOR and SUPER-SENIOR shooters (see DIVISION 1 below).
Targets will be FLAGGED to aid visibility.
We will also have night-vision ONLY side match available to shooters registered in the main match (see below).
SPECIAL DIVISIONS SO FAR:
DIVISION 1 – “SENIOR”
SPECIAL SUBCLASS: “SUPER SENIOR”
DIVISION 2 – “308 ONLY”
DIVISION 3 – “223 CARBINE”
DIVISION 4 – “OPEN RIFLE”
DIVISION 5 – “LIGHT RIFLE”
DIVISION 6 – “WEIRD AR-15 CALIBERS”
DIVISION 7 (ADD-ON) – “NIGHT-VISION FIELD EVENT”
FULL MATCH INFO AND REGISTRATION HERE SAFARI SPECIAL AKA CODGERS AND MISFITS MATCH
Online registration for 2021 Competition Dynamics events will open at 7:00 AM MST Wed JAN 6th.
2021 EVENT DATES
STEEL SAFARI June 4-6, Logan, NM
BURRIS OPTICS TEAM CHALLENGE June 24-27, Douglas, WY
SNIPER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE Sept 2-4, Douglas, WY
TEAM SAFARI Oct 15-17, Logan, NM
STEEL SAFARI: The Original Hike And Shoot Match. The Steel Safari is the archetypal “hike-and-shoot” long-range rifle match. It tests a wide spectrum of skills involved in getting to a shooting location, identifying targets, and engaging long-range rifle targets with only one shot each. Some of these skills include target recognition, ranging, wind doping, ballistic data management, marksmanship under field conditions, non-standard shooting positions, rudimentary trail skills.
BURRIS OPTICS TEAM CHALLENGE: A hard team match! This match is an extreme test of practical field shooting of rifles, carbines, and pistols, and supporting activities. Two-man teams will be required to navigate rugged desert / mountainous terrain, recognize, locate, range, and engage challenging rifle targets from compromised shooting positions, communicate with their partner and the range officer (RO), and do it under time constraints.
SNIPER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE: The Premier Tactical Adventure Race. You and your partner will undergo tests involving: land navigation; practical shooting with long-range rifle, carbine, and pistols; fieldcraft; problem solving; and other related tasks. Two-man teams will be required to navigate 30-60+ miles on foot to complete the course. Along the way, there will be a series of tasks to accomplish to gain additional points. These tasks may include: shooting problems with long-range rifle, carbine, and pistols; problem-solving; physical challenges; fieldcraft; communication; target recognition; memory; and other tasks.
TEAM SAFARI: This is a team “hike-and-shoot” rifle match for long-range rifle, semi-auto “carbine,” and pistols. It will test a 2-man team’s ability to locate, range, and engage practical targetry spread in the terrain using both weapons systems. Some of the skills involved include target recognition, ranging, wind doping, ballistic data management, marksmanship under field conditions, non-standard shooting positions, rudimentary trail skills. You can think of the Team Safari as a Team version of the Steel Safari. This match is much easier physically than the TBTC and is more on-par with the Steel Safari.
Please go to the CD web site for match info and registration http://competition-dynamics.com/
POSSIBLE NEW DECEMBER MATCH
We are looking at running a new match at the Blue Steel Ranch in December 2021. Stay tuned!
JUNE 3-6: STEEL SAFARI
JUNE 24-27: BURRIS OPTICS TEAM CHALLENGE
SEPT 2-5: SNIPER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE
OCT 14-17: TEAM SAFARI
DEC ???: MYSTERY MATCH ???
We’ll have the ’21 match web pages up by Jan 4th, and open registration on Jan 6th.
Congrats to the Team Safari champions, Andy Reinhardt and Collin Fossen. Here are the full results
SCORES 2020 PDF
This was the biggest Team Safari to date, thanks to everyone for helping us have a safe and successful match.
We’ll have the 2021 schedule done and posted by mid Dec. Our goal is to keep the same “weekends” year over year, if you need to make early plans now.
At the present time, NM guidelines, dictums, orders, etc, permit outdoor activities provided that participants maintain “social distancing” of 6 feet, and we do not congregate in groups larger than 10 people. Thus, the Team Safari will proceed with just a few changes vs. normal.
These changes will not affect the “Spirit of the match” or the shooting challenges, it will mostly be administrative and lessening the amount of interaction between competitors and competitors/staff.
We will be having a MANDATORY ONLINE BRIEFING FOR NEW TEAM SAFARI SHOOTERS – that is, everyone who has NOT SHOT THE TEAM SAFARI BEFORE MUST ATTEND – this Friday Oct 9th at 6:00PM MTN time on GoToMeeting, OR– we have an additional one on Saturday Oct 10th at 6:00PM MTN if you can’t make the first one. The link will be sent out in a separate email.
We will be re-using the Steel Safari ONLINE verbal briefing because it is 98% the same as the Team Safari briefing. We will go over the differences in the online briefings for new shooters.
Match Format Adjustments: We are consolidating the four assault stages in to either 2 long ones, or 2 long ones and 1 standards.
Here are some of the most important things to know NOW:
1. DO NOT COME IF YOU ARE SICK. SYMPTOMS TO LOOK FOR INCLUDE: Cough, Fever, Body Aches, etc.
2. We will have a temperature-check station on-site on Thursday. People with Temperatures higher than specified by our consulting medical personnel will not be able to compete and will have to leave.
3. It is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED that you take your temperature and monitor your health closely leading up to your departure for SS. It would suck to drive the whole way only to show up with symptoms.
4. Everyone on-site will be required to maintain SOCIAL DISTANCING of 6 feet at all times. This is for safety and to prevent us from being shut down in case the guidelines in NM are not relaxed and L.E. stops by. The 6′ rule will be enforced at all times with the exception of people who have traveled together the whole trip, and those people are to not have close contact with others.
5. Check-in will be mostly “virtual” or electronic with minimal interaction on-site. We will provide the waivers for you to complete and deposit on-site.
6. We will not have a regular SHOOTERS MEETING– it will be VIRTUAL. Prior to the SS, Jimmy and I will put together the Match Briefing Packet and a video and/or audio recording of the normal briefing and send these out via email. It will be your responsibility to understand this material. Present questions BEFORE THE MATCH via PHONE or EMAIL. This way we can eliminate more on-site 1:1 interaction.
7. Please limit groupings to 10 people or less at all times to comply with NM orders.
Registration is now kind of a mess, with everything on hold, checks not cashed immediately due to potential cancellation, etc. Please bear with us to get this straightened out. Here is the current status”
1. Those who currently have a CONFIRMED/PAID status are good to go.
2. Those who have sent funds but have not yet been marked PAID please check with me ASAP to make sure we have not received your funds.
3. At this point, please bring cash if you haven’t paid yet.
4. WE WILL NOT BE DOING ANY ON-SITE REGISTRATIONS. So register online if you want to come.
5. The last day we can receive and log-in payments before we head to the SS site is Friday Oct 9. Let’s get payments squared away ASAP, it’ll make it easier for everyone in the long term.
We are also looking for a couple more “Course Starters”–please contact Jimmy or I if you’re interested. You can’t be a “course starter” and a competitor, though you’ll have plenty of time to shoot for fun on-site as a staff member.
THERE WILL BE MORE INFORMATION COMING – STAY TUNED.