At the present time, NM guidelines, dictums, orders, etc, permit outdoor activities provided that participants maintain “social distancing” of 6 feet, and most states’ strict “stay at home” orders have been lifted. Thus, the Steel Safari can continue provided we incorporate some procedural and organizational changes.
These changes will not affect the “Spirit of the match” or the shooting challenges, it will mostly be administrative and lessening the amount of interaction between competitors and competitors/staff.
We will be writing up a detailed list of specific guidelines and procedural changes and sending it out before the match. Here are some of the most important things to know NOW:
1. DO NOT COME IF YOU ARE SICK. SYMPTOMS TO LOOK FOR INCLUDE: Cough, Fever, Body Aches, etc.
2. DO NOT COME IF YOU BELIEVE YOU ARE IN A HIGHER RISK CATEGORY
3. DO NOT COME IF YOU CANNOT TRAVEL WHILE BEING SAFE AND MINIMIZING EXPOSURE — AIR TRAVEL DISCOURAGED
— People who have already paid but cannot come due to any of these reasons will retain a credit towards a later 2020 CD match or a 2021+ CD match.
4. We will have a temperature-check station on-site on Thursday. People with Temperatures higher than specified by our consulting medical personnel will not be able to compete and will have to leave.
5. It is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED that you take your temperature and monitor your health closely leading up to your departure for SS. It would suck to drive the whole way only to show up with symptoms.
6. Everyone on-site will be required to maintain SOCIAL DISTANCING of 6 feet at all times. This is for safety and to prevent us from being shut down in case the guidelines in NM are not relaxed and L.E. stops by. The 6′ rule will be enforced at all times with the exception of people who have traveled together the whole trip, and those people are to not have close contact with others.
7. Check-in will be mostly “virtual” or electronic with minimal interaction on-site. We will provide the waivers for you to complete and deposit on-site.
8. We will not have a regular SHOOTERS MEETING– it will be VIRTUAL. Prior to the SS, Jimmy and I will put together the Match Briefing Packet and a video and/or audio recording of the normal briefing and send these out via email. It will be your responsibility to understand this material. Present questions BEFORE THE MATCH via PHONE or EMAIL. This way we can eliminate more on-site 1:1 interaction.
9. We will have procedures to limit the handing back and forth of score cards.
10. Masks of some sort will be required when in the FRONT RANGE and parking lot areas. They will not be required out on the trail but that’s up to you.
11. While on the SS trail courses, especially the waiting areas, the 6 foot distancing interval SHALL BE FOLLOWED.
12. Bring your own pens, timers, and hand sanitizer, etc.
13. In the parking lot, maintain more inter-car spacing than usual.
14. NO TOUCHING
15. We reserve the right to make public safety related decisions that affect competitors’ status.
16. There is a prize table but its scope is a little limited due to so many company shutdowns so far in 2020. We are working this hard to get it back up to normal spec.
17. We will extend the trophies to 1-10th place.
18. We will have specific CHECK-IN TIMES and ZERO-CHECK times for all registered competitors– this will depend on your shooter # and we’ll let you know what this is a week or so out.
19. We are working on having some virtual/on-line briefings / Q&A sessions, especially for NEW STEEL SAFARI COMPETITORS. Stay tuned.
Registration is now kind of a mess, with everything on hold, checks not cashed immediately due to potential cancellation, etc. Please bear with us to get this straightened out. Here is the current status”
1. Those who currently have a CONFIRMED/PAID status and already had your check deposited are good to go.
2. Those of you who submitted a check that was not deposited until now, but recently had a status change from pending/delinquent TO CONFIRMED/PAID will have your check deposited in the next few days. Call me ASAP if you need to withdraw and I should not cash the check. This includes IRVAN, GARAY, WESTHOFF, MCCRAY, VALDETERO, OSTAFF, SHEPHERD, WHITE, RILEY, WELLS, MAY, LONG, JAMARIK, PICKERING.
3. Other than those people in categories #1 and #2 above, no other checks have been received to date.
4. We are still accepting NEW registrations, but ONLY FROM STEEL SAFARI veterans. This is to limit the potential 1:1 interaction at the match. So if you have friends who have shot it and might want to go, please let them know.
5. Please note CD’s new mailing address on the online registration pages.
6. WE WILL NOT BE DOING ANY ON-SITE REGISTRATIONS. So register online if you want to come.
7. The last day we can receive and log-in payments before we head to the SS site is Friday May 29th. Let’s get payments squared away ASAP, it’ll make it easier for everyone in the long term.
We are also looking for a couple more “Course Starters”–please contact Jimmy or I if you’re interested. You can’t be a “course starter” and a competitor, though you’ll have plenty of time to shoot for fun on-site as a staff member.
THERE WILL BE MORE INFORMATION COMING – STAY TUNED.