Here are some last minute updates for Thunder Beast Team Challenge competitors:
1. Check-in/Zero-check will be from 1:00 PM until 5:00 PM Thursday. During this time (and this time only), you may check zero on the front range. You can set your own paper out between 50-300 yards. There may be a few steel targets available to shoot with rifle. Please do not show up early.
2. You must be checked in by 5:00 PM Thursday. The shooters meeting will start immediately at 5:00 PM. It is mandatory. It shouldn’t take longer than about a half hour, not counting questions.
3. Like last year, there will be a tech inspection during check-in. This will include a check of mechanical safeties and a drop test of approx one foot (vertical rifle onto butt pad).
4. Recap of changes for this year. This is restated from the 2014 match description so everyone knows what to expect. The “gully assault” stages are gone and are replaced with what we are calling “mid range assault courses.” These mid-range courses will be shot by both team members at the same time using two carbines, and will have targets for both members from approx 100 yards out to approx 450 yards. We will also have some pistol-only stages for both team members. In both cases, these stages will be scored using “time plus penalties” scoring (3-Gun style). In total, we expect to have 3 field courses (rifle + carbine), approx 4 mid-range assault courses (two carbines, pistol possible), 1-2 pistol stages, and two night stages. We will have stage scores “weighted” similar to last year: field 200 points, mid-range assault and pistol 100 points each, and night 50 points each.
5. For the night stages, we will supply any permitted lighting equipment. Night vision is not permitted.
6. You will receive a briefing packet at check-in that contains full information about scoring, schedule, etc.
7. Most of the match staff will be traveling to Logan late this coming weekend, so communications the week of the match will be sporadic. We will get back to you in the evenings if possible.
8. Please park by the front range along the road, only. No camping is available on site– there is camping near Ute Lake.
9. Over the course of a day, you will need to walk several miles. You will have to walk up to a mile to get to the start of each field course. Each field course is approx 0.75 – 1.25 miles in length. Then you will have to walk from the end of the field course back to the front range. You will also have to walk to each of the mid-range assault courses, which will be scattered around the field area. You should plan to be self sufficient from before your allotted field course time through the return to your vehicle, and then during the afternoon while shooting approx 3 mid-range assault courses or pistol stages. You will have a break before returning for your scheduled night-shoot stage each of Friday and Saturday nights.