The Original Hike And Shoot Match.
The Steel Safari is the archetypal "hike-and-shoot" long-range rifle match. It tests a wide
spectrum of skills involved in getting to a shooting location, identifying targets, and
engaging long-range rifle targets with only one shot each. Some of these skills include
target recognition, ranging, wind doping, ballistic data management, marksmanship under field conditions,
non-standard shooting positions, rudimentary trail skills.
CONTINUTED FOR 2020: 223/556 AR-15 DIVISION WITH UNLIMITED ROUNDS FOR ENGAGEMENTS.
Posted By: Zak Smith on June 9, 2020
Congrats to all competitors for a safe and fun match. Here are the results:
1. Connor Dowd
2. Tyler Hughes
3. Andy Reinhardt
1. Mike Dowd
FULL RESULTS PDF RIFLE DIVISION
FULL RESULTS PDF CARBINE DIVISION
Posted By: Zak Smith on May 19, 2020
We are doing a “Virtual” or “Online” Match Briefing and Shooters’ Meeting for Steel Safari. All competitors registered to date have received a link to the VIRTUAL BRIEFING page. If you have not received this link, please email me at email@example.com
Posted By: Zak Smith on May 9, 2020
At the present time, NM guidelines, dictums, orders, etc, permit outdoor activities provided that participants maintain “social distancing” of 6 feet, and most states’ strict “stay at home” orders have been lifted. Thus, the Steel Safari can continue provided we incorporate some procedural and organizational changes.
These changes will not affect the “Spirit of the match” or the shooting challenges, it will mostly be administrative and lessening the amount of interaction between competitors and competitors/staff.
We will be writing up a detailed list of specific guidelines and procedural changes and sending it out before the match. Here are some of the most important things to know NOW:
1. DO NOT COME IF YOU ARE SICK. SYMPTOMS TO LOOK FOR INCLUDE: Cough, Fever, Body Aches, etc.
2. DO NOT COME IF YOU BELIEVE YOU ARE IN A HIGHER RISK CATEGORY
3. DO NOT COME IF YOU CANNOT TRAVEL WHILE BEING SAFE AND MINIMIZING EXPOSURE — AIR TRAVEL DISCOURAGED
— People who have already paid but cannot come due to any of these reasons will retain a credit towards a later 2020 CD match or a 2021+ CD match.
4. We will have a temperature-check station on-site on Thursday. People with Temperatures higher than specified by our consulting medical personnel will not be able to compete and will have to leave.
5. It is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED that you take your temperature and monitor your health closely leading up to your departure for SS. It would suck to drive the whole way only to show up with symptoms.
6. Everyone on-site will be required to maintain SOCIAL DISTANCING of 6 feet at all times. This is for safety and to prevent us from being shut down in case the guidelines in NM are not relaxed and L.E. stops by. The 6′ rule will be enforced at all times with the exception of people who have traveled together the whole trip, and those people are to not have close contact with others.
7. Check-in will be mostly “virtual” or electronic with minimal interaction on-site. We will provide the waivers for you to complete and deposit on-site.
8. We will not have a regular SHOOTERS MEETING– it will be VIRTUAL. Prior to the SS, Jimmy and I will put together the Match Briefing Packet and a video and/or audio recording of the normal briefing and send these out via email. It will be your responsibility to understand this material. Present questions BEFORE THE MATCH via PHONE or EMAIL. This way we can eliminate more on-site 1:1 interaction.
9. We will have procedures to limit the handing back and forth of score cards.
10. Masks of some sort will be required when in the FRONT RANGE and parking lot areas. They will not be required out on the trail but that’s up to you.
11. While on the SS trail courses, especially the waiting areas, the 6 foot distancing interval SHALL BE FOLLOWED.
12. Bring your own pens, timers, and hand sanitizer, etc.
13. In the parking lot, maintain more inter-car spacing than usual.
14. NO TOUCHING
15. We reserve the right to make public safety related decisions that affect competitors’ status.
16. There is a prize table but its scope is a little limited due to so many company shutdowns so far in 2020. We are working this hard to get it back up to normal spec.
17. We will extend the trophies to 1-10th place.
18. We will have specific CHECK-IN TIMES and ZERO-CHECK times for all registered competitors– this will depend on your shooter # and we’ll let you know what this is a week or so out.
19. We are working on having some virtual/on-line briefings / Q&A sessions, especially for NEW STEEL SAFARI COMPETITORS. Stay tuned.
Registration is now kind of a mess, with everything on hold, checks not cashed immediately due to potential cancellation, etc. Please bear with us to get this straightened out. Here is the current status”
1. Those who currently have a CONFIRMED/PAID status and already had your check deposited are good to go.
2. Those of you who submitted a check that was not deposited until now, but recently had a status change from pending/delinquent TO CONFIRMED/PAID will have your check deposited in the next few days. Call me ASAP if you need to withdraw and I should not cash the check. This includes IRVAN, GARAY, WESTHOFF, MCCRAY, VALDETERO, OSTAFF, SHEPHERD, WHITE, RILEY, WELLS, MAY, LONG, JAMARIK, PICKERING.
3. Other than those people in categories #1 and #2 above, no other checks have been received to date.
4. We are still accepting NEW registrations, but ONLY FROM STEEL SAFARI veterans. This is to limit the potential 1:1 interaction at the match. So if you have friends who have shot it and might want to go, please let them know.
5. Please note CD’s new mailing address on the online registration pages.
6. WE WILL NOT BE DOING ANY ON-SITE REGISTRATIONS. So register online if you want to come.
7. The last day we can receive and log-in payments before we head to the SS site is Friday May 29th. Let’s get payments squared away ASAP, it’ll make it easier for everyone in the long term.
We are also looking for a couple more “Course Starters”–please contact Jimmy or I if you’re interested. You can’t be a “course starter” and a competitor, though you’ll have plenty of time to shoot for fun on-site as a staff member.
THERE WILL BE MORE INFORMATION COMING – STAY TUNED.
Posted By: Zak Smith on May 8, 2020
Steel Safari is a GO!
We will update the registration status and have a message detailing the various changes required by the COVID19 situation posted in the next 2 days.
Posted By: Zak Smith on May 2, 2020
We are making final inquiries with local authorities and will have an answer with regard to STEEL SAFARI status by SAT MAY 9th.
Posted By: Zak Smith on March 28, 2020
5/19/2020 UPDATE — ALL MATCHES ARE “ON” — WITH A FEW PROCEDURAL CHANGES.
— ORIGINAL POST —
Here is the impact of the COVID19 situation to the 2020 Competition Dynamics season (all four matches):
1. No matches are cancelled or rescheduled “YET.” We will not run a match if the COVID19 situation has not substantially resolved and the “stay at home” orders that are present in many states (including our home state) have been lifted.
2. We will make a final determination for each match NO LATER THAN one month before the match would occur.
3. If a match cannot take place at its normally-scheduled dates, we will attempt to reschedule later in the year, depending on the public health outlook and all other schedule considerations. IE, we will try to reschedule a match if we think it can work.
4. Processing of all registrations is suspended (effective 3-4 weeks ago). That means we will not approve/accept registrations, accept checks, deposit checks already sent, etc until some resolution is in place.
5. We will hold or destroy, at your request, all checks that have been sent/received and NOT YET DEPOSITED. Of those that we logged in but had not yet deposited, I have downgraded your online registration to “SLOT GRANTED”.
6. Of those who sent checks that were deposited and are marked as “CONFIRMED/PAID”, you have several options:
a) wait to see what happens; OR
b) have us write you a check, now or if/when we have to cancel; OR
c) in the case that a match is ultimately cancelled, we can roll your registration into any future CD event (eg, 2021 season)
We are happy to do any of those, or make other reasonable arrangements.
I would ask that you consider option (c) because it would help us cover fixed, sunk losses for 2020, such as insurance, that we can absorb through 2021. If this is the case, we will leave your “CONFIRMED/PAID” registration in place in the 2020 match database and use that as a key to future credit.
Please do not send a request for a refund check UNLESS you can confirm you’re still marked as “CONFIRMED/PAID” — AND — your bank shows the check has cleared. I have been holding checks for the last about 3-4 weeks as the situation has gotten hotter.
Please send refund requests with your name, match name (SS, BOTC, SAC, TS), and registration number.
Thank you and if you have any questions, please contact us.
– Zak & Jimmy