FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
- Q. Is registration limited?
A. The match will be limited to 36 shooters to ensure schedule goals are met.
- Q. How much ammo do I need to bring?
A. The main match will require no more than 120 rounds. The Long Range Side Match will require up to 30 rounds. You may want additional ammo to check your zero.
- Q. Where can I stay for this match?
A. Lodging is available in Logan.
LINK TO LOGAN LODGING INFO.
Match staff will be staying at the Budget Inn Express.
- Q. What kind of weather conditions can I expect during the match?
A. In June, temperatures can range from cool (40*F) & wet to dry & very hot (100*F). Strong thunderstorms are common. Wind is almost always present and can sometimes be very strong. We shoot rain or shine. Come prepared.
- Q. What kind of country is the Blue Steel Ranch?
A. The Blue Steel Ranch is located in New Mexico's high desert at about 4000' ASL. The terrain is rugged with numerous canyon s and arroyos. The vegetation is mostly cactus and sage with occasional Pinyon Pine. Rattlesnakes are often found in this country.
- Q. What rifle do I need for this match?
A. To keep it fair for everyone, we cannot give specific guidance on equipment. You will be shooting at targets at least 1 MOA in size from approximately 100 to 700 yards in the main match, and to 1000/1350 yards in the long-range side match.
- Q. Is this a lost brass match?
A. No extra time will be allotted to pick up brass, and any brass left on the courses of fire will be disposed of by the match staff.
- Q. What kind of gear do I need besides my rifle and ammo?
A. You will need sufficient food, water and clothing to spend the entire day walking and shooting out on the courses. The courses are in entirely natural terrain and offer no amenities. Suggested gear includes: Hiking boots; Backpack; Raingear; Water & food; Sunscreen; Binoculars; Rangefinder; Ammo (approximately 60 rounds each day); Bipod, shooting sticks and/or beanbags; Shooting glasses and ear protection; Emergency gear
- Q. Do I need a compass or GPS to navigate the courses?
A. The courses are all marked with brightly colored survey ribbon. If you can follow the ribbons, you should be able to find your way.
- Q. How do I get to the Blue Steel Ranch?
A. Head to Logan NM and then follow the path on the Google map at the bottom of this page.
- Q. Are there motels and restaurants in the area?
A. Few. Try Tucumcari.
- Q. Will I be able to check my zero when I arrive?
A. 0800-1400 Friday is allotted to sight-in and zero-check on the front range.
- Q. Do I need to carry a handgun?
A. No. The handgun requirements for the match have been eliminated.